Monday, February 5, 2007

The Infamous Jiaozi. (jow-tzi)

As a very regular, (and extremely inexpensive) part of my life in China I thought it was about time that you got an in depth introduction to what could almost be put into its own food group, Jiaozi.

You've heard me talk about them, I've tried to describe them, but I fear unless you hop a 13 hour plane to good ol' Zhongguo you may never know the true delight and infatuation that is this delicious meet-filled, pot-sticker resembling, dumpling. The most traditional, as well as my favorite flavor, is beef, but they also come stuffed with pork, lamb, even fish. Not to mention your vegetarian varieties that usually contain egg as well as spinich or chinese broccoli.

Jiaozi come, 10-12 an order, packed and presented in these stacked wooden crates? dishes? trays. One container costs generally 3 RMB depending on the vender. That's under 40 cents. Needless to say if I were to eat only them I would end up with a lot more money come May. Unfortunately after jiaozi jiaozi 2x a day a few days a week, well, I need a little something else.

J iazi should be eaten with a mixture of soy sauce and vinegar, which can be found on every table in this country (just about.)
You can add hot sauce to taste, you can, I don't.




Not to worry, at your average hole-in-the-wall fanguars (restaurant) such as this one, there is generally a menu far exceding my comprehension of chinese. I do have the regulars down though. For now let's stick to the basics, fried rice and fried noodles, chow fan, and chow mein respectively. This particular fanguar doesn't have the best chow mein, but for what? 5 RMB- it's not bad.

This fine feast, three trays of jiaozi, one beef chow mein, one vegetable fried rice, split between 4 people, cost a total of 19 RMB, less than 5 a person.
As we like to say here, "Zhe shi Zhongguo!" or That's China

6 comments:

Korlin said...

I understood "Zhe shi Zhongguo!"
I can also say "Zhe shi wo de ma ma"... and "Zhe shi wo de ge ge"... or something. And "Richie de ma ma shi daifu". Which is true.
Anyways. This all looks so delicious... want it. Now. You know what you've gotta do. Befriend yourself with a good cook and learn how to do this stuff. Then show me when you're here. See? That easy.

Korlin said...

You know what? That is so ridiculous. You pay about a dollar for a very decent and absolutely satisfying and yummy meal - and people here spend willingly 6 euros on a decent cocktail and even think it a fair price (cos ususally you pay up to 8 euros)... that is so not right... and I am not complaining about how expensive life is (I don't need to buy expensive drinks) but rather about the... how to call it... value-shifting, the materialism, the western thing decadence.

Linni said...

hey! my comment got deleted or something. i said earlier that i accidentally clicked on the chow mein picture and it blew up on my screen all huge and high def and your camera and that food just...i wasn't even hungry and then BLAM i wanted asian, faster than i've ever wanted it before.

mal said...

ew linni I just did that click on a pic, and I'm not going to lie the niu roe chow mein looks a lot like worms when it's that big. literally larger than life.

mal said...

what's daifu?
also when did you take chinese?

Korlin said...

You know I did Chinese for half a year in 2002/03 before our China vacation - we talked about that. And daifu is doctor, isn't it?