Monday, January 29, 2007

Taste Explosion - a Sunday Evening Food Marathon

Prepare youself for envious feelings. The description of gluttony on the highest level will follow - a.k.a. sunday evening dinner made by my mum.

For pre-entry my mum satisfies us already with rice crackers and herbage bread with her own guacamole-creation (on the picture it is already almost empty), yummy creamy feta cheese from the farmer's market, some white sour cream stuff with herbs and couscous (green due to the nerbs) and olives stuffed with almonds. Like I said, we were stuffed after that.















For entry #1 my mum served us potatoe pancakes with sour cream, wild salmon, crayfish and vegetarian caviar.Then, for entry #2, my mum presented a French dish: fennel au gratin with bechamel (I think) and cheese. I was sceptical at first - but oh my gaaaawd. So yummy.











Then - geez, where to put all that delicious stuff?? No room in my stomach! - oh so tender venison goulash with broccoli, Brussel sprouts and croquettes...




Now, the cheese course. I don't eat cheese, so I cannot report on that part - but with the cheese there as salad with fennel and walnut and a sweet-hot chili oil sauce. When presenting that course my mum suddenly called out "OH NO!" - "What did you forget?" - "The roasted pine nuts which were to go along with the broccoli and Brussel sprouts...". So we added them to the salad instead.




Now prepare yourselves mentally for the big and overwhelming finale: caramelised orange slices with vanilla cream sauce, home-made (!) cantuccini (a million times better than those you can buy) and ice cream pralinées...








There was even more candy and cantuccini for second (and third...) helpings... chocolate sticks with orange flavour and with peppermint flavour
and sugared ginger.









Soooo. Eric. When you come here, you'll be in for all these sunday evening treats :)

I wish that some day, I can cook like my mum. Cos when I'm grown up with my own children - I want this sunday evening tradition, too.
This is too good to be given up.

-Korlin
Hamburg, Germany

5 comments:

Linni said...

I can honestly tell yoiu, i don't think any of us know what cantuccini is, much less the difference between the store-bought kind and your mom's. but if they are those little baked triangles in the last picture, i want some.

her potato pancakes look incredible, not too greasy like the ones in restaurants.

how does one make vegetarian caviar?

also, the au gratin looks AMAZING. fennel is great. how did you eat this if you don't eat cheese? also, how do you not eat cheese?!

this looks so good. almond-stuffed olives! geez. i want german cooking. i want currywurst! i want to go with eric. life is so hard. eric, you better document everything EVERYTHING you eat there.

Elk Warrior said...

korlin. i'll be eating all of that please. thank you.

spage said...

omg. i want to come visit, korlin.

Kainar said...

Oh lord. All this for a plain ol sunday. What a wonderful mother you have!

mal said...

don't forget me, i want to eat it too!

also yeah, you don't eat cheese?